Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Pleasant Surprise


It was a book required for my most recent class and one I had not heard of before. It was written by Tony Evans, and here again, I had not read anything from this author prior to this class. I must admit that I was skeptical at best. However, I must say that this book has turned out to be one of the best books I have ever read. No kidding!
Tony Evans is the pastor of Oak Cliff Bible Church in Dallas, Tx. He is a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary and a very respected man among his peers. His style of writing is what I would describe as conversational. Having never met him, I can only assume that he writes like he talks. He uses several well placed stories and illustrations to make his point and he was very easy to read and follow. A topic such as the Holy Spirit is often "untouchable" but Dr. Evans has made my personal understanding of this amazing gift to believers more real and life changing than anything I have ever read on the subject.
This author makes a point early in His book that I found most enlightening. He says, "The Holy Spirit is a Person we can know and relate to, not just a force or power to be used." It was this early point in his book where he caught my attention and I knew I was in store for something significant. My instincts did not disappoint as Dr. Evans following a consistent biblical study of the Holy Spirit that was most impacting in my life.
I won't spoil the book so take my word for it. Go buy this book and enjoy the read. You won't regret it! In future posts I am sure to refer to the ways I was impacted by Dr. Evans' insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment