Friday, October 23, 2009

Accepting the Challenge - Day 5

Here we are at the end of the week! It's Friday...and Sunday's Comin'!
I pray that it has been a good week for you. And that does not necessarily mean it has been an easy week. Some of the best weeks are the hard weeks when God gives you the strength to endure and increases your faith in Him. But only if you have eyes to see, ears to hear and you are anticipating His work in and through your life. Remember to keep your eyes on him. C.S. Lewis is good at drawing it down to the simple:
There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way."


Psalm 86
"Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.” (Ps. 86:11) With so many things happening in our lives at once – school, work, marriage, family,ministry, etc. – it is so very easy to be distracted and go from one “good” thing to the next.
Yet, in the rush of activity, it is easy for my heart to become divided, my attention diluted and I do not fear the Lord. He becomes a source of strength for me to accomplish all that I do and not the reason for all that I do.
I confess that in my busyness, God is often reduced to a passenger that I take along in the journey. I pray this morning, as the psalmist did, to have an undivided heart. A heart that is focused on the One whom I follow and fear and worship.
As I consider this verse in reverse order, it becomes my prayer for this day: “God, may I fear you because my heart is undivided, undistracted and focused on You. May this focus on you allow me to walk in your truth. But only if you teach me, will I know the way."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your words today--and all week long, Todd. They have given me strength and encouragement as I deal with something that, in my humanness, feels bigger than God. That attitude has been making me feeling utterly defeated. The Psalms, though, have reminded me all over again just how big God is, and if I will move Him from the passenger seat and let Him behind the wheel, He will give me the desires of my heart. I want to give Him 100% control over the rest of my ride through this life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an encouragement Amy. His Word gives life and I am so thankful you have taken the time to consider the Psalms this week.
    As a new pastor, I often wonder, "Is anybody listening?" Clearly, you have had ears to hear God speak into your life. Because I care so much for you and your family, that gives me great joy.
    You have been an encouragement to me today!

    ReplyDelete